Five generations of service.
Stoneman Funeral Service was established in Redhill in 1865 and is now a fifth generation family business. John Stoneman together with his family moved to Redhill from South Devon setting up business as funeral furnishers, cabinet makers, upholsterers and builders. His first business was in Brighton Road, Redhill.
In the late 1870’s the firm moved to 100 Station Road, Redhill. Stables, workshops, a timber yard and stonemasonry works were situated in Cromwell Road, Redhill. In 1913 the first motor hearse in the borough was built in Stoneman’s coachworks.
In 1932 a Funeral office and Memorial showrooms were opened at 49 Bell Street, Reigate where families can make arrangements in private. In our Memorial department inscriptions are still cut by hand. The office at Bell Street is opposite Reigate Priory Car Park and within a short distance of The Reigate Registrars Office.
Twenty years later, in 1952, Doran Court was purchased and converted into a Funeral Home providing extensive facilities, with ample free parking, to assist in providing a first class comprehensive service. The interior has been designed with a service chapel, three private rooms for families to make funeral arrangements and six private chapels of rest. The service chapel seats 56 people and services can be held for any denomination prior to interment or cremation. All families arranging a funeral at Stoneman’s are welcome to hold a service in the chapel.
It was also in 1952 that Stoneman’s started working with Mr Eddie Stephens at Galyers Funeral Directors in Godstone, providing staff, vehicles, materials etc. When Mr and Mrs Stephens retired in 2000, Stoneman’s continued trading, incorporating Galyer & Co. and 45 High Street, Godstone was purchased with the addition of 47 High Street in 2003. A Chapel of Rest was opened with a service of dedication in October that year.
In May 2004 a premises at 11 Shelvers Hill, Tadworth was aquired and opened as Stoneman Funeral Service new branch office in July 2004. A Chapel of Rest was added with a service of dedication on 24th November. When 10 Shelvers Hill became available in 2009 the two shops were combined to add a further Chapel of Rest and a lounge area where funerals can be arranged with the feeling of home comfort around you.
In January 2010 Stoneman Funeral Service purchased Sherlock and Sons Funeral Directors in Dorking, now Sherlock Funeral Service, also an established family business that has been serving the Community of Dorking and surrounding villages for over 100 years. The two families now work together with the vast experience of local knowledge that is invaluable in providing a first class service.
Sherlock Funeral Service
Trellis House, 190 South Street
T. 01306 882 266
In October 2012 Stoneman & Sherlock Funeral Service purchased a brand new fleet of Jaguar Hearses and Limousines all with matching number plates. The new vehicles along with immaculate premises, staff and caring Funeral Directors make Stoneman & Sherlock Funeral Service an elite family run business.
Stoneman Funeral Service and Sherlock Funeral Service our latest Daimler hearse and limousines.
In October 2013 Stoneman Funeral Service purchased the Old Village Stores in Crawley Down and after restoring and refurbishing the building to include a private arrangement room and Chapels of Rest it was opened as a new office branch in January 2014.
On 24th November 2014 a service of dedication took place at Stoneman Funeral Service Chapel of Rest at Shelvers Hill, Tadworth to celebrate 10 years of serving the local community and surrounding area.
On Saturday 9th May 2015 Stoneman Funeral Service held an Open Day in Memory of John Stoneman (8th May 1935 – 10th May 2012) to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Stoneman Funeral Service being established in Redhill. A Horse Drawn Hearse and the new fleet of Jaguar Hearses and Limousines were on on display to reflect the change in vehicles the company has used from Victorian times to the present day.